Beer Can Chicken
Infuse your chicken with all the moisture and flavour of your favourite beverage. Try anything from apple juice, to vegetable broth, to your own mixture of water and spices.
1 whole chicken
1 can beer, chilled*
2–3 tbsp your favourite Chicken Rub
*Substitute non-alcoholic beer, soda, broth or juice if preferred
You'll Also Need:
1. Preheat grill to 135°–180°C.
2. If using chicken throne; pour ½ of chilled beer into chicken throne. Set aside and discard remaining beer.
3. If you don’t have a chicken throne; open chilled beer and discard ½ of beer in can, leaving remaining ½ in can. Using a can opener, create a few small holes in the top of the beer can. Set aside.
4. Sprinkle ½–1 tbsp of your favourite Chicken Rub inside the cavity of the chicken. Rub 1–2 tbsp of Chicken Rub on the entire outside of the chicken.
5. Stir in ½ tbsp Chicken Rub into beer can or chicken throne.
6. Carefully insert the upright beer can or chicken throne into the cavity of the chicken. Place the upright beer can or chicken throne and chicken on the middle of the preheated grill. Cover grill and cook for 1¼–1½ hours, or until golden brown and crispy. If using a meat thermometer, insert the probe into the thickest part of the thigh of the chicken, without touching the bone. The internal temperature should read 73°–78°C.
7. When chicken is cooked, carefully transfer the beer can or chicken throne with the upright chicken to a serving platter using tongs. Let rest for 5 minutes, then remove the chicken from the beer can or chicken throne, being careful not to spill the hot contents of the beer can or chicken throne. Carve the chicken and serve.
Recipe By Louisiana Grills