Whole Smoked Turkey
1 (9-11 kg) whole turkey
1 bottle Mesquite Rub
1 bottle smoked paprika
3 tbsp butter, softened
1. Preheat your grill to 160–180°C.
2. Remove the neck and giblets if neccessary.
3. Rub the outer surface of the turkey with Mesquite Rub.
4. In a small container, combine equal parts of softened butter, mesquite rub, and smoked paprika to form a paste. Gently inset your hand between the outer skin and the breast meat. Carefully rub the butter mixture inside the pocket.
5. Place the turkey, breast side up, in the centre of the cooking grid and smoke for 22-26 minutes per kg. When finished, turkey should be tender and golden brown, or an internal temperature of 77°C in the thickest part of the thigh.
6. When finished, remove turkey from the grill. Cover with tin foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve immediately alongside your favourite traditional holiday sides such as mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
– To catch drippings, you may also place the turkey in a large foil pan instead of directly on the grill.
– Do not smoke your turkey at a lower temperature than 160°C. Doing so can make the skin tough.
– If pressed for time, wrap the turkey in tin foil. This will speed up cooking greatly and also help save skin that has gotten tough.
Recipe By Louisiana Grills